Making the decision to go to detox and get help is a very courageous decision. It can be a bit overwhelming as you embark on making some big changes in your life. If you can follow through and stay the course, your best days lie ahead. Here are some tips that will set you up for success as you prepare for detox:
- Commit to stop drinking. Recovery is usually a gradual process. In the early stages of change, denial is a huge obstacle. Even after admitting you have a drinking problem, excuses will crop up at every turn. It’s important to acknowledge those excuses and recognize them as the self-defeating messages they are. If you’re still struggling with the decision, it can help to think about the costs and benefits of each choice.
- Get rid of temptations. Remove all alcohol, barware, and other drinking reminders from your home and office. If this step is too hard (i.e.: “I love those glasses” or “I’ll use those for guests”), get a trusted friend or loved one to help.
- Announce your goal. Let friends, family members, and co-workers know that you’re trying to stop drinking. If they drink, ask them to support your recovery by not doing so in front of you. Be upfront and make it clear that you will no longer be drinking in your home or at events.
- Avoid bad influences. Distance yourself from people who don’t support your efforts to stop drinking or respect the limits you’ve set. This may mean giving up certain friends and social connections. Don’t worry, you’ll build new, better connections!
- Build your support network. Surround yourself with positive influences and people who make you feel good about yourself. The more you’re invested in other people and your community, the more you have to lose—which will help you stay motivated and on the recovery track.
At New Start Detox we are committed to fostering the health, happiness, self-reliance and responsible behavior of each individual as we help them recover from substance abuse. We are here to help you prepare for detox. Call us today at (833) 433-0448.
[cta_large]Join the conversation on Facebook and tell us your thoughts on Detox.[/cta_large]